Saturday, October 31, 2009

Fab Kevin Hardtail Shovel Project



This project has been in the works for two years, but substantive progress has only been achieved in the past two hours. The foundation is a Fab Kevin hardtailed 81 Shovel frame with an 80ci Shovel engine from an 81 FLT. I bought the rubberglide FLT a couple years ago with the intent of parting it out and using the engine, but I enjoyed riding the bike so much I put about 5,000 miles on it and put the project on ice. Finally a week ago I found a guy on Craigslist looking for parts for an 82 FLT he had crashed, so we made a deal for my rolling chassis and I pulled the engine. The front end is a late-model H-D Springer, also a CL score. I found the ratchet top 4-speed from a guy on the Horse message board. I spent a couple hours today mocking up the rolling chassis and drivetrain and it's starting to come together. The plan for this bike is a Pan-style bobber using as many gennie H-D parts as possible. What to do about a seat and rear fender are the big hurdles left to figure out, but the rest should go together pretty fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment